Can anyone recommend an accountant near Porto?
Thread poster: Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:56
Danish to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2022

Can anyone recommend a competent and responsive accountant near Porto who speaks English or French and doesn't charge an arm and a leg? The one I have is not very responsive (i.e. regularly ignores emails), which isn't particularly helpful for someone who only just set up a company in Portugal a few months ago.

It's easy to find accountants that target expats, but they generally seem to believe that targeting expats justifies doubling their fees.

Tom in London

Rafael Rogel
Rafael Rogel
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
accountant Mar 10, 2022

PM

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Thomas Mar 11, 2022

Good morning! I’m in Lisbon, and my accountant lives South of Lisbon (though nearby), but I could ask him. In the meanwhile, have you asked the Danish or the British Consulate in O’Porto? Are you a member of APTRAD? They might know someone… Good luck!

expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 11, 2022

Thanks, Rafael and Teresa.

I called Rafael's suggestion, and the woman who answered did speak some English. Then the connection was lost, and nobody answered the phone when I called again. I sent a text. Maybe their phone self-destructed. Let's see if they manage to read my text.

So, Teresa, if yours can speak EN or FR and you're happy with him, I could try. I like to do stuff like that online anyway, so the distance shouldn't be any problem. I'm not a member of anythin
... See more

I called Rafael's suggestion, and the woman who answered did speak some English. Then the connection was lost, and nobody answered the phone when I called again. I sent a text. Maybe their phone self-destructed. Let's see if they manage to read my text.

So, Teresa, if yours can speak EN or FR and you're happy with him, I could try. I like to do stuff like that online anyway, so the distance shouldn't be any problem. I'm not a member of anything else than Proz. I could try the consulates, of course. Thanks for the suggestion.
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some more help: Mar 11, 2022

My accountant thinks locally, but doesn't speak globally!

Try to contact the Portuguese Association of Accountants, if needed:

Porto

Rua da Infanta D. Maria, 47 r/c
4050-350 PORTO

Telefone – 22 201 1945
Telemóvel – 936679309

[email protected]

... See more
My accountant thinks locally, but doesn't speak globally!

Try to contact the Portuguese Association of Accountants, if needed:

Porto

Rua da Infanta D. Maria, 47 r/c
4050-350 PORTO

Telefone – 22 201 1945
Telemóvel – 936679309

[email protected]

http://www.apc.pt/wp/contactos/
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 11, 2022

Thanks to you too, Sandra. I have lots of leads now.

What does it mean that an accountant thinks locally? They only declare revenue from Porto?😁

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Thomas Mar 11, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

So, Teresa, if yours can speak EN or FR and you're happy with him, I could try. I like to do stuff like that online anyway, so the distance shouldn't be any problem. I'm not a member of anything else than Proz. I could try the consulates, of course. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am very happy with my accountant, but I have no idea what his level of EN and/or FR is, I'll find out and I'll also ask him on Monday if is willing to recommend an accountant in O'Porto.

[Edited at 2022-03-11 18:56 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done May 5, 2022

Rafael,

I wanted to thank you for your recommendation of your accountant. He is dealing effectively with the things my previous accountant neglected and is very responsive. If you need a hand in return one day, just let me know.

Marco Poliafico
Marco Poliafico
Portugal
I am looking for an accountant in Porto as well Sep 18, 2023

Hi all,
Just joined this forum since I have exactly the same need - if anybody can provide any contact I would appreciate that (accountant in Porto).

Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anyone recommend an accountant near Porto?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »