Is there a way to force a company in Germany to pay the work I did for them? I'm also in the EU
Thread poster: Isabel Cisneiros
Isabel Cisneiros
Isabel Cisneiros
Portugal
Local time: 07:52
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 9, 2023

Hi all, can someone in Germany give me a hint?

The job was not big, so I need a cheap solution...

I can send details (and name of the company)

Thanks in advance

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Isabel Mar 10, 2023

Did you get the job though Proz? If yes, make a BB entry (if the agency doesn’t have a BB, make one). I must say that Proz staff has been very helpful every time I have submitted a non-payment report (two or three cases), and I got paid in a few days. Send all the proof you have (emails exchanged and/or PO, etc.) with your non-payment report.

Geoffrey Black

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:52
German to Swedish
+ ...
European payment order Mar 10, 2023

https://e-justice.europa.eu/41/EN/european_payment_order

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
European Small Claims procedure Mar 10, 2023

I also heard of cases of translators who filled out form A of the European Small Claims procedure and send it to their client. Enough done!

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/solving-disputes/european-small-claims-procedure/index_en.htm

Isabel Cisneiros
Isabel Cisneiros
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I reported to Prozcom Mar 10, 2023

Dear Teresa,

First I want to thank you for answering and trying to help.

Yes, I did all that (even enclosed the PO in their platform, before and now; also the Credit Note before and now, the emails I got from Mahrt company)Unfortunately, I don't know if it's because I«m not a paying member, all I got from Prozcom was info...........So far, as I know, they did nothing - I even wrote to Jared asking for a senior contact as I want to ask if Prozcom is not worried that th
... See more
Dear Teresa,

First I want to thank you for answering and trying to help.

Yes, I did all that (even enclosed the PO in their platform, before and now; also the Credit Note before and now, the emails I got from Mahrt company)Unfortunately, I don't know if it's because I«m not a paying member, all I got from Prozcom was info...........So far, as I know, they did nothing - I even wrote to Jared asking for a senior contact as I want to ask if Prozcom is not worried that the translator's confidence starts fading away, as the reason we join Prozcom is they give credibility to companies that ask for our work Let me say that Mahrt company wrote me saying my behaviour (claiming my payment several times and, as I got no answer, telling them I reported to Prozcom) was strange (?????) and they tried to call me 1 when I was out of battery, they were not sure I am a person (????) and as they couldn't validate me (by phone???? the job is done, delivered on date, they know they have to pay to the translator, they have my payment data, I even issued and sent the Invoice.........
That's why I want to know about claiming our money in Germany...someone told me, many years ago, that he had a company's goods pawned 'till the amount the company owned himAnd now it must be even easier, with all online things available, I guess.

I'm going to wait some more days to see if Prozcom does something (I think they'll warn Mahrt company, as Prozcom's Policy is, as far as I know, that a member can be evicted on a 2nd time, so I guess there's a warning the 1st time - this can be the 1st time reported....if you go to the company's page, you'll see they have very few (7 before mine) rates, I got more than the double and my work as a translator was only 10% of my activities 'till the Pandemic
I was awarded many Kudoz, many of those I spent looking for details from some companies before taking their jobs
I was invited by Prozcom to start my own glossaries (several pairs and technical areas)
So I think Prozcom should want to keep me and others like me safe, even not being paying members, if they know we are trustworthy, competent, professional

Again, thanks for your time and suggestions - I'd like to keep connected, if you want
Collapse

Évariste Willy Noah
Évariste Willy Noah
Cameroon
English to French
+ ...
Proz is there for members issues. Mar 10, 2023

As for me, I have always received answers from Proz, everytime I needed their help, even though it was not for payment issues with a client.

Isabel Cisneiros
Isabel Cisneiros
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not the situation I posted about Mar 10, 2023

Évariste Willy Noah

So, not for such a case, right?
For other support requests (like job post to Portuguese requiring the applicant to be native not from Portuguese but from another language; or saying you must send your application to (insert URL here) instead of the URL itself, etc) I also got answers

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
You could file a Mahnantrag online... Mar 10, 2023

... see here: https://www.online-mahnantrag.de/omahn/Mahnantrag?_ts=4654229-1449676534009&Command=start
(). (For debtors in Germany and creditors residing in the EU - choose Berlin in your case, as you don't live in Germany.)

Here
... See more
... see here: https://www.online-mahnantrag.de/omahn/Mahnantrag?_ts=4654229-1449676534009&Command=start
(). (For debtors in Germany and creditors residing in the EU - choose Berlin in your case, as you don't live in Germany.)

Here are some useful explications in English:
http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/208637-how-to-get-a-court-payment-order-mahnbescheid/

I did this once and got paid immediately, including interests and expenses.The expenses are, if I remember well, about 35 Euro for a debt up to 1.000 Euro (unless you do want/need to go to court of course). In this case, an official reminder is sent to the debtor and that's all you need to pay, whether he/she settles the debt or not.

But like others suggested, first try with ProZ. Good luck!
Collapse

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Isabel Mar 10, 2023

I worked with them 10 years ago on a one-off project and I must say that I had no problem being paid…

Isabel Cisneiros
Isabel Cisneiros
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Teresa Mar 15, 2023

Dear Teresa

If you go to their rating, you'll see they only had 7 .... in 5 years!!! For a company, I think that's really low....I have about 3 x that number, as a freelance (and before the Pandemic, translation was only 10 % of my professional activities)

Their last rate was more than 1 year ago....
Perhaps they are not in a good moment, but refusing to pay (249 €) saying they were not sure I was a real person......???? They had no doubts I was a real person 't
... See more
Dear Teresa

If you go to their rating, you'll see they only had 7 .... in 5 years!!! For a company, I think that's really low....I have about 3 x that number, as a freelance (and before the Pandemic, translation was only 10 % of my professional activities)

Perhaps they are not in a good moment, but refusing to pay (249 €) saying they were not sure I was a real person......???? They had no doubts I was a real person 'till I asked them for my money. No doubts while I was working for them, no doubts when they wanted to assign me a 2nd job, no doubts when they issued the Credit Note (the proof the job I delivered had no issues), no doubts when I sent them my Invoice (issued from the Invoice Form in the Ministery of Finances of Portugal, as you know)
Collapse

dkfmmuc

dkfmmuc
dkfmmuc  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Very effective means of gaining momentum Mar 15, 2023

Isabel Cisneiros wrote:

Dear Teresa

Perhaps they are not in a good moment, but refusing to pay (249 €) saying they were not sure I was a real person

Dear Isabel,

in Germany there is a comparatively effective workflow called Mahnverfahren which gains momentum very fast. If the company really has sent you a ridiculous statement like they are not sure you are a real person.

So wait one week and then ask a German colleague to write you a step by step manual. Normally saying that you will start this procedure will increase the willingness to pay. Only disadvantage: This customer won't buy again.

You don't need to search help, it is already here. Feel free to message me in 7 days.

And there is also a super easy and secure way to proof that you are real.

Best regards

Gerd

[Edited at 2023-03-15 23:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-03-15 23:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-03-15 23:13 GMT]

Isabel Cisneiros
Isabel Cisneiros
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Liebe Gerd, please help May 3, 2023

TO Gerd (dkfmmuc)

Did you get my answer to your Private Message?

Please contact me, I really want to take your offer to help me.

Thanks !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to force a company in Germany to pay the work I did for them? I'm also in the EU

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »