Thread poster: Marzena Malakhova
Marzena Malakhova
Marzena Malakhova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:37
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 24, 2023

Is it true that German companies are not allowed to transfer money to any bank in Russia?

Last November a translation agency from Germany with a decent BB rating sent me a job. Right now I do not have a memdership and cannot see individual entries in their BB rating, just a total rating of 4.7 but before accepting the job I studied all the entries and found nothing suspicious. I made a translation and issued an invoice for this order that was to be paid by wire transfer by the end o
... See more
Is it true that German companies are not allowed to transfer money to any bank in Russia?

Last November a translation agency from Germany with a decent BB rating sent me a job. Right now I do not have a memdership and cannot see individual entries in their BB rating, just a total rating of 4.7 but before accepting the job I studied all the entries and found nothing suspicious. I made a translation and issued an invoice for this order that was to be paid by wire transfer by the end of the year.

Upon receiving my invoice they told me they could not transfer money to any bank in Russia and suggested that I opened a bank account in another country which was not an option for me. I suggested using other payment systems but they refused either. The translation was done in November 2022 when all the sanctions had been imposed. When giving me the job they already knew that they would not be able to pay it.

I got lost in the multitude of sanctions against my country and I cannot make out if it is true that they are prohibited to pay me directly or it is just a pretext for non-payment.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Marzena Mar 24, 2023

Marzena Malakhova wrote:
Upon receiving my invoice they told me they could not transfer money to any bank in Russia ... The translation was done in November 2022 when all the sanctions had been imposed. When giving me the job they already knew that they would not be able to pay it.

I just checked my own bank's information about Russia, and this is what it says:

As of December 1, 2022, we no longer conduct transfers to Russia for business customers who have not previously made a transfer to Russia. As of June 1, 2023, we will no longer conduct any transfers to Russia for business customers (exceptions can be made in strictly exceptional cases).
If your transfer has a private purpose, such as school fees, rent costs and salary payments, then it is not necessary to attempt to get approval for an exception in advance. We will review such transactions individually and will contact you if we need additional information.
Foreign banks called "correspondent banks" are involved in international transfers. These banks have their own rules and can stop a transfer even after our approval, or hold the money due to sanctions.

It may be that they thought that they would be able to make the transfer, at the time that you did the job for them, but that their bank had changed its rules. Either way, it is their responsibility to pay you (and expecting you to open a local bank account... which is actually impossible... is not reasonable).

In the worst case, you can ask them to put the payment on hold for you, i.e. get them to formally state that they will pay you when the sanctions are lifted again. The downside of this is that you're not going to see your money for at least ten years.

[Edited at 2023-03-24 10:01 GMT]

Marzena Malakhova
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Samuel Mar 24, 2023

Thank you for your investigation!

Grigoriy Smirnov
Grigoriy Smirnov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Маржена Mar 24, 2023

Насколько я знаю, Raiffeisen Bank - это единственный банк, в который можно попробовать обратиться в Вашем случае.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Pressure Mar 24, 2023

Grigoriy Smirnov wrote:

Насколько я знаю, Raiffeisen Bank - это единственный банк, в который можно попробовать обратиться в Вашем случае.

At least for the moment: https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/ecb-pressures-austrias-raiffeisen-bank-quit-russia-sources-2023-03-23/

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
EasyStart is a viable option Mar 24, 2023

Grigoriy Smirnov wrote:

Grigoriy, Raiffesen is not an option anymore. Their correspondent banks wouldn't participate in the transfers to Russia, as they wouldn't risk being hit by secondary sanctions as threatened by the US authorities.

Marzena, I suggest that you try EasyStart service for freelancers offered by EasyStaff.io. They take a 6-8% commission, but you do get the invoiced amounts converted to RUB at the CBR rate. You'll also get all the supporting paperwork for the Russian tax authorities. See more details at https://easystaff.io/start

Regards,
Vladimir

Elena Kharitonova

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Avoid dealing with cryptocurrencies Mar 24, 2023

Crypto is a grey-to-black zone in Russia. The first guy got sentenced for "money laundering" in Russia after having bought crypto from mobile phone fraudsters. You never know for sure who you buy crypto from or sell crypto to, you know ...

Marzena Malakhova
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Payment options Mar 25, 2023

Grigoriy Smirnov wrote:

Raiffeisen Bank

Thank you for your idea, Grigoriy, but I am afraid it won't work. The client refuses to make payment to Russia regardless of the bank and Raiffeisen Bank operating in Russia is a Russian legal entity with its own SWIFT code. There are no true foreign banks in Russia, they all have to form a separate legal entity to work in our country.
Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Marzena, I suggest that you try EasyStart service for freelancers offered by EasyStaff.io.

Vladimir, thank you for your suggestion and warning against cryptocurrency. I have never heard of EasyStart before. 6-8% fee is fine for me so I will try this service.

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
SmartCAT Mar 25, 2023

You can try SmartCAT that allows invoicing for any job done outside of their platform. They will charge 10% on top your rate, but if there's no other way, you can go for it and adjust the amount to be paid accordingly.

Muzaffer Sharif Bhutta
Muzaffer Sharif Bhutta  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 10:37
Member (2018)
English to Urdu
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Proz Pay Mar 27, 2023

Hi Marzena,

Did you try ProzPay?

Best,

Muzaffer

Elena Kharitonova
Elena Kharitonova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:37
Member (2016)
German to Russian
+ ...
EasyStart Mar 27, 2023

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Marzena, I suggest that you try EasyStart service for freelancers offered by EasyStaff.io. See more details at https://easystaff.io/start

Regards,
Vladimir

It works. It's safe. I like it.

Elena Kharitonova
Elena Kharitonova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:37
Member (2016)
German to Russian
+ ...
ProzPay Mar 27, 2023

Muzaffer Sharif Bhutta wrote:

Hi Marzena,

Did you try ProzPay?

Best,

Muzaffer

Proz.Pay was a wonderful option, the best one after Wise and Paypal left Russia.
I used to transfer the received on Proz.Pay money to my Payoneer business account, than from Payoneer to my bank account in Russia.
But since Payoneer stopped it's work in Russia, I really can't imagine how to get money (if any) from my Proz.Pay account at present (I don't like and don't use cryptocurrency). I would appreciate you for lifehack:=)

Marzena Malakhova
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
EasyStart works Apr 6, 2023

Thank you for your advice, Vladimir! EasyStart worked fine.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:37
Serbian to English
+ ...
Sounds to me like a deliberate scam Apr 10, 2023

Marzena Malakhova wrote:

Last November a translation agency from Germany with a decent BB rating sent me a job. Right now I do not have a memdership and cannot see individual entries in their BB rating, just a total rating of 4.7 but before accepting the job I studied all the entries and found nothing suspicious. I made a translation and issued an invoice for this order that was to be paid by wire transfer by the end of the year.

Upon receiving my invoice they told me they could not transfer money to any bank in Russia and suggested that I opened a bank account in another country which was not an option for me. I suggested using other payment systems but they refused either. The translation was done in November 2022 when all the sanctions had been imposed. When giving me the job they already knew that they would not be able to pay it.

I got lost in the multitude of sanctions against my country and I cannot make out if it is true that they are prohibited to pay me directly or it is just a pretext for non-payment.

Sounds to me like a deliberate scam.

It's easy to pretend that "we want to pay but we are prevented" when you knew in advance that you will be prevented.

sdvplatt

Marzena Malakhova
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Daryo Apr 14, 2023

Yes, it looked pretty fishy to me as well but the client paid and I have already received the money for this job.

Unfortunately, this was my last translation job. International cooperation with my country got stuck, there are much fewer translation jobs now and I cannot make a living. I had to quit my profession. I found a temporary in-house job as a stitcher in an archive but now the archive project is over and I am unemployed again.

[Редактировалось 2023-04-14 09:01 GMT]

sdvplatt

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bank transfer from Germany to Russia

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »