Tiziana Dandoli
Tiziana Dandoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Mar 27, 2023

Good evening,
an agency asks me if I can take care of the translation/creation of the Italian name of a product for one of its clients, but they have no idea (and neither do I) of how to formulate a quote. Can you please advise me how to formulate an economic proposal of this type?
Thank you very much

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:34
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Make sure you know what they need Mar 27, 2023

First, clarify what exactly they need. That's likely much more than just the one translation of the product name. They probably need a few suggestions, each with an explanation of what the name means, what image it conjures up in the language, why you came up with it. But they need to tell you what they expect from you and what they are looking for you. The agency needs to discuss this with the end client; don't let the agency fob you off with the usual 'Just use your best judgement'

... See more
First, clarify what exactly they need. That's likely much more than just the one translation of the product name. They probably need a few suggestions, each with an explanation of what the name means, what image it conjures up in the language, why you came up with it. But they need to tell you what they expect from you and what they are looking for you. The agency needs to discuss this with the end client; don't let the agency fob you off with the usual 'Just use your best judgement'

Then work out how long it will take you and quote based on that. It might take an hour if it's very straightforward or, more likely, a few hours. You will need to familiarize yourself with the product, think about possible ideas, research similar products and so on.
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Joakim Braun
Adam Dickinson
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Peter Dahm Robertson

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:34
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Economic proposal Mar 27, 2023

When formulating an economic proposal for a translation project, there are several important factors to consider. They are:

Determine the scope of the project
Ask the client for more information about the product and what is required for the translation/creation of the Italian name.
1. Will you be working from scratch, or just making adjustments to an existing name?
2. Will you need to do research on the product or industry to ensure accuracy?
3. Will you ne
... See more
When formulating an economic proposal for a translation project, there are several important factors to consider. They are:

Determine the scope of the project
Ask the client for more information about the product and what is required for the translation/creation of the Italian name.
1. Will you be working from scratch, or just making adjustments to an existing name?
2. Will you need to do research on the product or industry to ensure accuracy?
3. Will you need to create multiple options for the client to choose from? Once you fully understand the scope, you can estimate the amount of time and effort required for the project.

Calculate the cost
Based on the scope of the project, estimate how many hours it will take you to complete the work. Consider your hourly rate as well as any additional costs.

Provide a detailed breakdown
Be transparent about the costs by providing a detailed breakdown of your fees, including any additional costs or fees. This will help the client understand the value of your services and make an informed decision.

Consider the market
Research the market rates for translation services and adjust your quote accordingly.

Be professional
Present your proposal professionally, including all necessary details such as your contact information, payment terms, and expected timeline. Make sure to answer any questions the client may have and be open to negotiating the terms if necessary.

Here's a template for a quote that you can customize and send to your client:

Dear [Client's Name],

Thank you for considering me for the translation/creation of the Italian name for your product. Based on the scope of the project, I have prepared the following economic proposal:

Scope of the project: [Include a brief summary of the project scope and any specific requirements that the client has provided.]

Estimated time and effort: [Provide an estimate of how many hours you expect the project to take, based on the scope.]

Hourly rate: [Provide your hourly rate for translation services.]

Additional costs: [If applicable, include any additional costs]

Total cost: [Calculate the total cost based on the estimated time and effort, hourly rate, and any additional costs or discounts.]

Market rates: [If applicable, provide information on market rates for translation services and how your quote compares.]

Payment terms: [Outline your payment terms, such as payment due upon completion of the project or payment in installments.]

Expected timeline: [Provide an estimated timeline for the project, including any milestones or deadlines.]

If you require supplemental information or would like to discuss the proposal further, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am open to negotiating the terms of the quote to ensure that it meets your needs.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I'm hopeful that we can work together soon.

Best regards,

[Your Name]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:34
German to Swedish
+ ...
Not just a name Mar 27, 2023

Product names can't be "translated". A serious approach takes at least several hours of work, perhaps a full day (or two!). You need to reflect on the manufacturer brand, the product and the targeted customers. You need to take a look at the names of competing or similar products, and where this product fits in (cheapo? high end? niche?). You should make several suggestions and provide a detailed explanation of the connotations and flavor of each. You MUST research whether any such trademark alr... See more
Product names can't be "translated". A serious approach takes at least several hours of work, perhaps a full day (or two!). You need to reflect on the manufacturer brand, the product and the targeted customers. You need to take a look at the names of competing or similar products, and where this product fits in (cheapo? high end? niche?). You should make several suggestions and provide a detailed explanation of the connotations and flavor of each. You MUST research whether any such trademark already exists.

Anything less than this might be a disservice to the customer.

You really need to talk to the end customer a little bit, about their brand profile and what they expect from you. A really good product name is worth lots of money, the customer would be much more interested in your skill, commitment and seriousness than in the cost.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-03-27 21:53 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
John Fossey
Barbara Carrara
Kay Denney
Pamela Cruz
Jo Macdonald

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:34
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Cost of developing a product name Mar 28, 2023

Joakim Braun wrote:

Product names can't be "translated".

Some companies pay a lot for the right brand name, and then come up with something that cannot be translated. How does $30,000 per word sound? See, for example, https://www.wired.com/1997/06/es-namemachine/

Barbara Carrara
Kevin Fulton
Jo Macdonald
Anton Konashenok
expressisverbis

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Hum Mar 28, 2023

John Fossey wrote:

Joakim Braun wrote:

Product names can't be "translated".

Some companies pay a lot for the right brand name, and then come up with something that cannot be translated. How does $30,000 per word sound? See, for example, https://www.wired.com/1997/06/es-namemachine/

I don’t think she’s dealing with that kind of company. They would hire a marking agent/sales writer in Italy to do it.

OP, maybe charge hourly. Base your hourly rate on their company profitability in the source country (mid to high). Then see how much time you spend figuring out their name.

Peter Dahm Robertson

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes Mar 28, 2023

Joakim Braun wrote:

Product names can't be "translated". A serious approach takes at least several hours of work, perhaps a full day (or two!). You need to reflect on the manufacturer brand, the product and the targeted customers. You need to take a look at the names of competing or similar products, and where this product fits in (cheapo? high end? niche?). You should make several suggestions and provide a detailed explanation of the connotations and flavor of each. You MUST research whether any such trademark already exists.

Anything less than this might be a disservice to the customer.

You really need to talk to the end customer a little bit, about their brand profile and what they expect from you. A really good product name is worth lots of money, the customer would be much more interested in your skill, commitment and seriousness than in the cost.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-03-27 21:53 GMT]

And when everything’s done, they will test the chosen name on the market. For any low sales, her name will receive a large amount of blame.

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Easy? Not quite, if you don't (know how to) do it right. Mar 28, 2023

Joakim Braun wrote:

If I may add to Joakim's post, that's why there are marketing and advertising agencies, whose expertise is precisely that, meaning they know the domestic and international (EU and beyond) marketplace, what to do and where to look for trademark searches, intellectual property databases etc.

I don't want to discourage you, Tiziana, but as a translator, would know what would be the right steps to make, or who to contact to carry out the above?

A few years ago, I was approached by an agency on behalf of one of their clients, who wanted to launch a product in Italy. Neither of them could speak Italian, and yet they had come up with a list of potential names, which included a few that had been translated into Italian from their own individual mother tongues, as well as random popular Italian terms, including names of cities and the like.
Needless to say, their efforts proved to be ludicrous, to say the least.
At the time, I had called a friend who owns a marketing and advertising agency, whose contacts I would have shared with the translation agency eventually. However, we never came to that, as they disappeared immediately after I had voiced my doubts and suggestions.

When you think of it, creating a new brand name might be the easier bit. Or not quite, if you don't (know how to) do it right. And sometimes, even the professionals can fail miserably,
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/49rx9gg/

Kevin Fulton
Joakim Braun
Jo Macdonald
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Miranda Drew

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
... Apr 16, 2023

https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/361916-the_"houdinis".html

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Six months... Sep 21, 2023

...and we're still waiting for a sign from Tiziana, either here, or in her duplicate thread in Italian.

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Costs of translating the name of a product, how to formulate a quote

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »