Rates for LQA (language quality assurance)
Thread poster: Begoña Recaséns
Begoña Recaséns
Begoña Recaséns  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
May 8, 2023

Dear colleagues,

My client wants me to provide my rates for LQA, which I have never done before. Do you know if this is an hourly rate, or just a normal wordcount rate, and in that case, is this higher than the average proofreading/editing rate? As you can see, I have no idea what to say, so any suggestion on this is more than welcome.

Thanks a lot and have a great week, everyone.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Hourly May 8, 2023

Begoña Recaséns wrote:
My client wants me to provide my rates for LQA, which I have never done before.

Different clients mean different things by the word "LQA", but often, it means that you must review a translation and then make a list of all your edits. You are given a spreadsheet with columns like position, source text, original target text, updated target text, type of error, subtype of error, severity of error, description of error... and you have to fill in the spreadsheet for all edits in the file. If there are very few edits, then it doesn't take long. If there are more edits, then it takes very long. You have to categorize each and every edit by type and severity.

And... often, the translator is then given the opportunity to defend his work, and you are then asked to say whether you agree with the translator or not.

Kevin Fulton
Sebastian Witte
Thayenga
Renée van Bijsterveld
Évariste Willy Noah

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:53
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Assessment or Assurance? May 8, 2023

Well, I agree with Samuel, it depends on the work you're supposed to do. I'd ask what their LQA entails (or their definition of LQA...) For ex., I know what Samuel describes as assessment or evaluation, i.e. these are my clients' names for that type of service. When I read LQA, I think in terms of Language Quality Assessment, definitely not Assurance.

QA in the sense of quality assurance requires more efforts than proofreading or editing. Theoretically, as agencies have their own jo
... See more
Well, I agree with Samuel, it depends on the work you're supposed to do. I'd ask what their LQA entails (or their definition of LQA...) For ex., I know what Samuel describes as assessment or evaluation, i.e. these are my clients' names for that type of service. When I read LQA, I think in terms of Language Quality Assessment, definitely not Assurance.

QA in the sense of quality assurance requires more efforts than proofreading or editing. Theoretically, as agencies have their own job description.

Therefore, ask what is expected (asking doesn't mean admitting you don't know how to do the job, but simply that you don't know what they – specifically – expect from you, so no harm done in asking). After that, it's up to you whether per word or hour or, again, word/hour – in my experience, very few agencies accept an unkown no. of hours, they want to know in advance how much your work will cost them, usually 1K/h, even though it can be less than 1K/h for difficult texts.

Once you know what you have to do, it is easy to tell your price.

Giuliana
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for LQA (language quality assurance)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »