How can I get less payment for MTPE below 75% compared to segments for translation above 75%?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 13:33
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 11, 2023

How can I get less payment for MTPE below 75% compared to segments for translation above 75%?

I didn't sleep this night, maybe I am tired. But I can't see the logic: I have around 75 percent MTPE segments that are matches below 75% which I get lower payment for. Then I have matches above 75 percent that are charged at translation rate (higher rate than for MTPE segments). Why? The easiest segments to translate are those matches above 75 percent, and I get higher payment for those. W
... See more

I didn't sleep this night, maybe I am tired. But I can't see the logic: I have around 75 percent MTPE segments that are matches below 75% which I get lower payment for. Then I have matches above 75 percent that are charged at translation rate (higher rate than for MTPE segments). Why? The easiest segments to translate are those matches above 75 percent, and I get higher payment for those. Why?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:33
Danish to English
+ ...
You don't get higher payment above 75% May 11, 2023

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

I didn't sleep this night, maybe I am tired. But I can't see the logic: I have around 75 percent MTPE segments that are matches below 75% which I get lower payment for. Then I have matches above 75 percent that are charged at translation rate (higher rate than for MTPE segments). Why? The easiest segments to translate are those matches above 75 percent, and I get higher payment for those. Why?

The client presumably applies a grid of reductions for fuzzy matches above 75%, so you don't get paid more per word for these.

Thayenga
expressisverbis
Philippe Etienne

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation rate for matches from the real TM and MTPE rate for matches from the MT engine May 11, 2023

The first step of the logic is clear for me: MTPE rate (lower rate) for low-percentage matches (up to 74%) from the MT engine (I think it's DeepL) instead of full translation rate for no match-74% match because I get some help if the MT engine outputs translations of quite good quality.

The second step of the logic is still not clear for me: These are high-percentage matches that come from the real translation memories (there are several translation memories). First of all, because
... See more
The first step of the logic is clear for me: MTPE rate (lower rate) for low-percentage matches (up to 74%) from the MT engine (I think it's DeepL) instead of full translation rate for no match-74% match because I get some help if the MT engine outputs translations of quite good quality.

The second step of the logic is still not clear for me: These are high-percentage matches that come from the real translation memories (there are several translation memories). First of all, because these high-percentage matches come from real translation memories, the base rate should be that for translation and not for MTPE (a higher rate, higher base rate). There should be better quality on these real translations from real translation memories compared to MT engine outputs, although it should be very difficult to have a fixed ratio between the rates in this regard as the MT engine outputs can differ widely as to quality, even when using the same MT engine.

Secondly, and now I might agree with the logic after all, perhaps because these are high-percentage matches, the lower total rate for them, taking into account the different reductions in rate for the ranges above 75% match, might, more or less, coincide in final "net" per word rate with that of lower matches from the MT engine (DeepL) - the total rate for these high-percentage translation matches might either get a bit lower or a bit higher than the rate for low-percentage MT matches from the MT engine (DeepL) (that remains the same for the whole range no match-74% match).
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
What are "higher/lower MT matches"? May 11, 2023

What do you mean with this term?

expressisverbis

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
High-band machine translated fuzzy matches May 11, 2023

I could rephrase it something like "high-band machine translated fuzzy matches" perhaps. In other words, fuzzy matches from the machine translation (not the real translation memories for the project) that are, for instance, 95-99% match segments are "high-band machine translated fuzzy matches". But in my case, these high-band machine translated fuzzy matches don't exist as they are only below 75% matches (from the machine translation).

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
When doing MTPE... May 11, 2023

I have directly machine translated strings, and I am paid a certain fix rate for full or light post editing.

So I was wondering what "MT matches" are as I never heard about such a thing.
What do these strings match with?

[Bearbeitet am 2023-05-11 17:00 GMT]

expressisverbis

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MT matches are matches from a MT system such as DeepL May 11, 2023

MT matches are matches from a MT system that, I suppose, my customer has fine-tuned the output from.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
? May 11, 2023

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

MT matches are matches from a MT system that, I suppose, my customer has fine-tuned the output from.

DeepL has a MT matches system? Hm...
Could it be the client is trying to pull you over the barrel?

expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
MTPE standard: May 11, 2023

You get machine translated text and are paid to edit it.
The rate for this service can differ, but for good MT output a rate of 70% of your regular translation rate for the relevant topic is ok.
The rate is applied to the total word count, there are no discounts on any phantomatic matches.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »