Thread poster: Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 30, 2023

I am in the unfortunate situation where I wish to bring a claim against a client in Italy for non-payment of invoices. I am owed over €2000 for work completed over 1 year ago.
I have given them written warning of my intentions and attempted to contact them on numerous occasions, but have not heard from them since January.

I have looked at the European Justice Portal for information about the small claims procedure, and unfortunately it is not as simple as in UK.

... See more
I am in the unfortunate situation where I wish to bring a claim against a client in Italy for non-payment of invoices. I am owed over €2000 for work completed over 1 year ago.
I have given them written warning of my intentions and attempted to contact them on numerous occasions, but have not heard from them since January.

I have looked at the European Justice Portal for information about the small claims procedure, and unfortunately it is not as simple as in UK.

Has anyone attempted this before, and can you please offer any advice?

Many thanks.
Collapse

Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:33
Member (2020)
English to Italian
Threatening legal action Jun 30, 2023

Have you tried to threaten legal action? I heard clients often pay just because of the threat, even if you don't start any formal procedure. You can try to do it by yourself first and then have a lawyer send them a formal letter both by email and by post.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dalia Nour

Wendy Cummings
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Legal action has been threatened Jun 30, 2023

Emanuele Vacca wrote:

Have you tried to threaten legal action? I heard clients often pay just because of the threat, even if you don't start any formal procedure. You can try to do it by yourself first and then have a lawyer send them a formal letter both by email and by post.

Yes I have, both by email and on the Proz Blue Board on their profile, but they have not responded.

Does the lawyer have to be in Italy?

Marie-France Phaneuf
Marie-France Phaneuf  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
Collection agency Jun 30, 2023

Have you tried to look for a collection agency in Italy? They will know all the rules, they have more power and resources, and they can help you to get at least some of your money.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I have a better system - Jun 30, 2023

I have a better system that forces Italian non-payers to pay immediately.

So far, it has always worked.

Please PM me if you want to know more.

[Edited at 2023-06-30 08:58 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Dalia Nour
Angie Garbarino
Christopher Schröder
monica.m

Wendy Cummings
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Jun 30, 2023

Marie-France Phaneuf wrote:

Have you tried to look for a collection agency in Italy? They will know all the rules, they have more power and resources, and they can help you to get at least some of your money.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that and will try it.

Wendy Cummings
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done Jun 30, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Done

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Copyright Jun 30, 2023

I have no experience with Italy, but a solicitor would probably be a good idea if you do go to court.

I had a problem with a US translation agency recently, and the things that seemed to work was to
• tell them that I reserved the right to inform the end clients directly that I still owned the copyright, since it hadn't been paid
• contact someone as high up in the hierarchy as possible.

As this could result in the company losing one or more clients, I t
... See more
I have no experience with Italy, but a solicitor would probably be a good idea if you do go to court.

I had a problem with a US translation agency recently, and the things that seemed to work was to
• tell them that I reserved the right to inform the end clients directly that I still owned the copyright, since it hadn't been paid
• contact someone as high up in the hierarchy as possible.

As this could result in the company losing one or more clients, I think most companies would take it seriously. You can debate until the end of time if there is a confidentiality clause somewhere that tells you not to do this, but my view is that if they start playing dirty, I'm not going to sit on a bench like a timid schoolboy. I’m going to fetch my sling.

Tom in London has mentioned that he uses an effective method for Italy, but he has never told anyone in public what it is. Maybe he will tell you by direct email.

Edit: I see Tom in London beat me to it while I was writing this.

[Edited at 2023-06-30 09:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-06-30 09:36 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Christopher Schröder

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Wendy Jun 30, 2023

The very few times I had a non-payment issue with an agency that contacted me through Proz, I must say that Proz staff was very helpful. Have you tried this avenue?

Angie Garbarino

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I recommend a registered letter Jun 30, 2023

Wendy Cummings wrote:

Emanuele Vacca wrote:

Yes I have, both by email and on the Proz Blue Board on their profile, but they have not responded.

Does the lawyer have to be in Italy?

Send a registered letter (raccomandata con ricevuta di ritorno), in most cases it works, if it does not then yes an Italian lawyer is needed.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Let us know Jun 30, 2023

Wendy Cummings wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Done

Please please please let us know if it works. Obviously you won’t be able to tell us what it actually involves, we do after all grasp the concept of omertà, but some corroboration of its fabled infallibility would be a blessed relief after all these years of hearing about it.

Thomas T. Frost

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Wendy Jul 2, 2023

I’ve heard here of cases where the simple fact of preparing an EU Payment Order claim without submitting it to the court (there's a step where you can save the order as a PDF) was enough to make the client pay immediately.

Joakim Braun

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wanting advice for bringing small claim in Italy

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »