Thread poster: Celery Wang
Celery Wang
Celery Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:30
Member (2023)
English to Chinese
Jul 11, 2023

Hi there, I need some help. We are medical translation company located in China Mainland. For last 2 months, a Turkish freelancer provided translation service for our medical device project from English to Turkish. And it's time to complete payment for invoice. We have to pay about 440 USD to him. But due to American control Policy, Paypal is not applicable in Turkish, so as to translator provide his bank account instead. And we already deliver our contract/invoice all the related material to B... See more
Hi there, I need some help. We are medical translation company located in China Mainland. For last 2 months, a Turkish freelancer provided translation service for our medical device project from English to Turkish. And it's time to complete payment for invoice. We have to pay about 440 USD to him. But due to American control Policy, Paypal is not applicable in Turkish, so as to translator provide his bank account instead. And we already deliver our contract/invoice all the related material to Bank of China as agent. And we also finished paper work/Survey from intermediary bank. We even provide translator ID/birth all information. But still, the intermediary bank refund the money without any explain and also deduct 50 USD without any comments. What the hell? How could they do that ?

Any one has solution if we have to use bank transfer to Turkish/Ukrain/Russia?
Collapse

Edson Oliveira

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:30
Danish to English
+ ...
PayPal Jul 11, 2023

According to information online, the only reason the PayPal service was shut down was that it could not obtain a license from the BRSA (The Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency) and had to stop its activities. The possible reason is that BRSA wants to keep financial data realized through PayPal in Turkey. Doesn't look like 'American control policy'.

As for your experience, it looks very strange. It is usually that bank that accepted the payment order that is responsible to the
... See more
According to information online, the only reason the PayPal service was shut down was that it could not obtain a license from the BRSA (The Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency) and had to stop its activities. The possible reason is that BRSA wants to keep financial data realized through PayPal in Turkey. Doesn't look like 'American control policy'.

As for your experience, it looks very strange. It is usually that bank that accepted the payment order that is responsible to the payer, so I would ask that bank for a refund and an explanation. Was the account information submitted accurately?
Collapse

Metin Demirel

Edson Oliveira
Edson Oliveira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:30
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Have you tried Transfer Wise (Wise) Jul 11, 2023

Hi Celey,

I am sure you can try Wise: https://wise.com

Bes regards,

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:30
Danish to English
+ ...
Wise left too Jul 11, 2023

Edson Oliveira wrote:

Hi Celey,

I am sure you can try Wise: https://wise.com

Bes regards,

Wise too has pulled out of Turkey. If a country introduces too much control and regulation, such money transfer companies cannot operate efficiently.

ATIL KAYHAN
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Inna Borymova
Inna Borymova  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
Use Payoneer or Proz*Pay Jul 11, 2023

Hi Celery,

One thing to do for you both is to open Payoneer accounts. In Turkey, this is the best alternative to PayPal.
Another option is to use Proz*Pay (the translator must be a user of this website). You can pay via PayPal or bank transfer and the fee will be lower than $50 charged by the intermadiary bank.

If you need to make payments to Russia, it's a different story. Some banks just refuse, others (as I was told) will make the tranfer if you provide a contr
... See more
Hi Celery,

One thing to do for you both is to open Payoneer accounts. In Turkey, this is the best alternative to PayPal.
Another option is to use Proz*Pay (the translator must be a user of this website). You can pay via PayPal or bank transfer and the fee will be lower than $50 charged by the intermadiary bank.

If you need to make payments to Russia, it's a different story. Some banks just refuse, others (as I was told) will make the tranfer if you provide a contract and a lot of details of the beneficiary. Russian vendors can use Proz*Pay but the withdrawal options will be limited to crypto (or non-Russian banks but in this case you can make transfers directly).
In Ukraine, PayPal and Payonerr work without any problem.

[Edited at 2023-07-11 13:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-07-11 13:56 GMT]
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:30
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Transfers Jul 11, 2023

Celery Wang wrote:

And we also finished paper work/Survey from intermediary bank. We even provide translator ID/birth all information. But still, the intermediary bank refund the money without any explain and also deduct 50 USD without any comments.

It is very sad to read that. If bank transfer is not completed with success (as in this case), I think it is not ethical for any bank to collect a fee of $50 because it does not make any sense to me. I do not know if it is possible for you to get a refund for $50 or not but it is definitely a headache to go through the above process. I would not try to repeat the same process, and lose another $50 of course. That means it would be best to try another method of transfer.

The current issue with Turkish banks is that Turkish Lira is losing value at the speed of light, and banks are trying to protect themselves against that. Whether that has any relevance or not in this case, I do not know because I do not know much about economics. I am not sure but it may be better to use a method that does not employ banks directly (some of them are not that trustworthy, as we witness).

Celery Wang
China
Member (2023)
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Thomas Jul 12, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

As for your experience, it looks very strange. It is usually that bank that accepted the payment order that is responsible to the payer, so I would ask that bank for a refund and an explanation. Was the account information submitted accurately?

Thanks for your reply. In fact, I am sure I have input correct bank account+ SWIFT code. And I agree with you that bank accepted payment order. But maybe due to Jurisdictions under Increased Monitoring of FATF. Turkish is in the list of high risk country. If so, I think we should not be charged even the trade is incomplete anyway. I will push our fiance team to track the story and get more information from the bank. I don't know if there is alternative solution to complete the invoice. [Cry]

Celery Wang
China
Member (2023)
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to ATIL KAYHAN Jul 12, 2023

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

Celery Wang wrote:

And we also finished paper work/Survey from intermediary bank. We even provide translator ID/birth all information. But still, the intermediary bank refund the money without any explain and also deduct 50 USD without any comments.

It is very sad to read that. If bank transfer is not completed with success (as in this case), I think it is not ethical for any bank to collect a fee of $50 because it does not make any sense to me. I do not know if it is possible for you to get a refund for $50 or not but it is definitely a headache to go through the above process. I would not try to repeat the same process, and lose another $50 of course. That means it would be best to try another method of transfer.

The current issue with Turkish banks is that Turkish Lira is losing value at the speed of light, and banks are trying to protect themselves against that. Whether that has any relevance or not in this case, I do not know because I do not know much about economics. I am not sure but it may be better to use a method that does not employ banks directly (some of them are not that trustworthy, as we witness).

Hi ATIL KAYHAN,
Thanks for your reply. We are indeed no nothing about what happened to Turkish Lira and bank reflection. I think that is the reason why we use USD/EUR for trade instead. I think I will take a try by using Proz pay instead, if linguistics agree of course. You know, I am anxious about the payment issue, because I matter all the efforts translator made, and do not wish to have any quarrel because of that.

Celery Wang
China
Member (2023)
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Inna Borymova Jul 12, 2023

Inna Borymova wrote:

Hi Celery,

If you need to make payments to Russia, it's a different story. Some banks just refuse, others (as I was told) will make the tranfer if you provide a contract and a lot of details of the beneficiary. Russian vendors can use Proz*Pay but the withdrawal options will be limited to crypto (or non-Russian banks but in this case you can make transfers directly).

Dear Inna Borymova ,

That's very very very useful!!! I appreciate that! I never tried Proz pay before, maybe it works. I will then inform our finance team later. Also, we have business translation task from English to RUS and UKR too. Especially for RUS, that's will be another story or nightmare. Anyway, let me figure out Turkish issue first. [Cry...]

Inna Borymova
Inna Borymova  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
Welcome Jul 12, 2023

Celery Wang wrote:

Inna Borymova wrote:

Hi Celery,

Dear Inna Borymova ,

That's very very very useful!!! I appreciate that! I never tried Proz pay before, maybe it works. I will then inform our finance team later. Also, we have business translation task from English to RUS and UKR too. Especially for RUS, that's will be another story or nightmare. Anyway, let me figure out Turkish issue first. [Cry...]

I had to change jurisdiction from Russia to Kyrgyzstan because of all those problems. I have used Proz*Pay for more than a year, mainly because PayPal does not work in Kyrgyzstan either. The system works smoothly and the staff are very supportive.
You are welcome to contact me for EN-RU translations to avoid the nightmare.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

payment failed using bank transfer to Turkish

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »