Amanda Chiharu Ueta
Amanda Chiharu Ueta
Japan
Local time: 15:28
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jul 12, 2023

Hi all.
I have been working on a few projects from a company that contacted me through Proz.com and I haven't received any payment yet. I also sent an email to their sales contact, though I got an apologize, still no payment. I'd like to report them, but what should I do?

Mami Yamaguchi

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:28
Danish to English
+ ...
Depends, but … Jul 12, 2023

That depends on the country, but something that sometimes works is to tell them that if they haven't paid within a week from now, you reserve the right to contact the end clients you worked for to inform them that you still own the copyright, since it hasn't been paid.

Also try to get hold of the CEO or owner directly if you can. Call or email them directly if you can find the information, for example on LinkedIn. In any case, call them several times.

And report them in
... See more
That depends on the country, but something that sometimes works is to tell them that if they haven't paid within a week from now, you reserve the right to contact the end clients you worked for to inform them that you still own the copyright, since it hasn't been paid.

Also try to get hold of the CEO or owner directly if you can. Call or email them directly if you can find the information, for example on LinkedIn. In any case, call them several times.

And report them in the Blue Board and other places such as Payment Practices in any case.

You can also use social media (Twitter, Facebook …) and review sites such as Trustpilot and Google Maps to post information about their behaviour.
Collapse

Amanda Chiharu Ueta
Ying-Ju Fang
Dalia Nour
Tine Hokland
Mami Yamaguchi

Marie-France Phaneuf
Marie-France Phaneuf  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:28
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
Blueboard Jul 12, 2023

Hi,

sorry to read about this. You should always check the blueboard of ProZ before engaging yourself with a company. Most of all when a company contact you directly to your email (even through ProZ). Some of those company have a very bad rate on their Blueboard and are even banned to post new jobs on ProZ, that's why they contact you directly. The Blueboard is our best tool for references concerning translation companies. I've made it a routine to check every company before applying
... See more
Hi,

sorry to read about this. You should always check the blueboard of ProZ before engaging yourself with a company. Most of all when a company contact you directly to your email (even through ProZ). Some of those company have a very bad rate on their Blueboard and are even banned to post new jobs on ProZ, that's why they contact you directly. The Blueboard is our best tool for references concerning translation companies. I've made it a routine to check every company before applying, replying or starting a job.

And now you also know what to do to report them.

Your link to the Blueboard is here: https://www.proz.com/blueboard

Good luck and success in getting your money back.

Marie-France Phaneuf
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Amanda Chiharu Ueta
Dalia Nour

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Amanda Jul 12, 2023

Amanda Chiharu Ueta wrote:
I'd like to report them, but what should I do?

The place on ProZ.com to report non-payment is the Blue Board:
https://www.proz.com/blueboard

Amanda Chiharu Ueta
Tom in London
Dalia Nour

Amanda Chiharu Ueta
Amanda Chiharu Ueta
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all that answered! Jul 12, 2023

Thank you so much for your comments.
Yes, from the next time I will be extra careful and be checking the Blue Board.

Once again, I really appreciate your advises.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Important Jul 12, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Amanda Chiharu Ueta wrote:
I'd like to report them, but what should I do?

The place on ProZ.com to report non-payment is the Blue Board:
https://www.proz.com/blueboard

Importantly you should also click on the "contact support" link at bottom right of the Blue Board and report the details of what you are owed and have not been paid.

Thomas T. Frost
Dalia Nour

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Non-payment report Jul 12, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Importantly you should also click on the "contact support" link at bottom right of the Blue Board and report the details of what you are owed and have not been paid.

Right. They give you the opportunity to file a non-payment report if you enter a low score. This choice should be shown after the user has confirmed the Blue Board entry. When enough people have done this, the outsourcer may be banned from posting jobs.

We should remember to inform support if they pay later, though.

Tom in London
Thayenga

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jul 12, 2023

How long have the bills been outstanding? Have either you or the agency communicated payment schedules? Some agencies pay routinely after two months, others after three.

Melina Kajander

Tomoki Minohara
Tomoki Minohara  Identity Verified
Member (2015)
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Trump card: involve the client Aug 26, 2023

In case you have information of the client who requested the translation service such as
name, website, I suggest letting the client know the non-payment, sending also the same
email to the agency in copy.

This method worked well for me.
The agency kept silent for one month and also ignored a new reminder.
Taking the above-mentioned action, the company replied to me within one minute and paid.

Thomas T. Frost
Christel Zipfel
IrinaN

Mami Yamaguchi
Mami Yamaguchi  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
What about this method? Aug 31, 2023

Hello, Amanda san

Have you tried this method?

Request any client payment via https://www.proz.com/pay/request

We have to get what we work for

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The client won't pay.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »