Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jul 16, 2023

Top on their list of demands are:

- More money
- Limiting the use of artificial intelligence

Now, the billion-dollar question is, are the nincompoop crowds in Translation ever going to get a whiff of that kind of self-esteem?

And, please, I don't want any moles totally disregarding both the topic and the question while fiercely engaging on the well-deserved, more-than-fair use of "nincompoop".

Christopher Schröder

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:39
English to French
+ ...
SAG/AFTRA Jul 16, 2023

No self-respecting actor would dare to not be a member of the union. Therefore, when the union calls for a strike, they all go on strike.

I rest my case.

Daryo

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:39
Greek to English
Level of esteem Jul 17, 2023

Sadek_A wrote:

Now, the billion-dollar question is, are the nincompoop crowds in Translation ever going to get a whiff of that kind of self-esteem?

I'm not afraid that AI will be able to do the work I do at the level I do it any time soon.

I think that means I have more self-esteem than somebody who is afraid of that.

YMMV.

Mr. Satan (X)
Dan Lucas
Thayenga
Lieven Malaise
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 09:39
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Self-esteem Jul 17, 2023

Sadek_A wrote:

I'm earning good money doing what I do, including using AI. Not sure who is part of the nincompoop crowd here: the ones continuously whining about their own failure to make translation work for themselves while blaming AI for it, or the ones managing to make a good living out of translation while coping with the challenges AI is posing by learning to use it in their own advantage.

Talking about self-esteem ?

Philip Lees
Dan Lucas
expressisverbis
Jorge Payan
Paul Lambert

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I don’t think that’s what it’s about Jul 17, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:
I'm not afraid that AI will be able to do the work I do at the level I do it any time soon.

I’m sure they feel the same, but they do it out of solidarity.

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
False comparison Jul 19, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Philip Lees wrote:

I’m sure they feel the same, but they do it out of solidarity.

Whatever. I was just responding to the original question.

It's clearly a false comparison, anyway. The Hollywood strikes are taking place in a specific context, directed against essentially just one target, a single client. If you wanted to make a more valid comparison, you would have to postulate a single major employer of translators - let's give it a made-up name, say LeoSpan, or perhaps GenderfluidFlawless - and consider how likely it is that translators working for that client would act in unison.

Suggesting that translators as a worldwide community would engage in such an initiative is like asking the same question about all the world's writers, regardless of their location, language or special interest areas. Clearly, such a strike could never happen.

And if it did, who would notice?

Coming back to the Hollywood affair, I reckon that quite a lot of the garbage spewed out from there could be reproduced by the current level of AI. I recently watched a much-hyped thriller series called Citadel that was so bad I honestly think it might have been written by AI.

But I don't see AI being able to come up with something like The White Lotus or Black Mirror any time soon.

Bottom line: good writers (and translators) don't need to worry just yet; bad writers (and translators) better watch out.

P.L.F. Persio
Anton Konashenok
expressisverbis
Lieven Malaise
Becca Resnik
Christopher Schröder

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Black Mirror Jul 19, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

But I don't see AI being able to come up with something like The White Lotus or Black Mirror any time soon.

Bottom line: good writers (and translators) don't need to worry just yet; bad writers (and translators) better watch out.

That would be so meta.

Philip Lees
Becca Resnik
Alison Jenner

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:39
Member (2008)
Italian to English
nincompoop Jul 19, 2023

Sadek_A wrote:

Top on their list of demands are:

- More money
- Limiting the use of artificial intelligence

And, please, I don't want any moles totally disregarding both the topic and the question while fiercely engaging on the well-deserved, more-than-fair use of "nincompoop".

"nincompoop" is a very quaint word; not, I would think. in everyday use.

This is me totally disregarding both the topic and the question while fiercely engaging on the well-deserved, more-than-fair use of "nincompoop". Others may wish to do the same. After all the original topic has got precious little to do with the business of translation (you can argue about that too).

P.L.F. Persio

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
Meta Jul 19, 2023

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

Philip Lees wrote:

That would be so meta.

You're right! I hadn't thought of that. An episode of Black Mirror written by an AI bot. Meta indeed.

You know what, though, I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie Booker could bring it off. Make it an episode about the person whose job it is to write the episode, but he's behind his deadline, so he gives it to an AI. Then things start to go awry ...

Back to reality. What we have to remember about these large language model AIs is that they don't actually create anything; they just rehash and regurgitate.

So an AI can generate a piece of music in the style of, say, Bach, that is hard to distinguish from the real thing. But that's only possible because Bach wrote so much amazing music in the first place.

In the Hollywood context, it's possible that the "Marvel Universe", for example, now has so much archived material that an AI could generate an entire "new" movie after analysing it. What else? The Bond 007 franchise maybe?

Onwards and upwards.

P.L.F. Persio

Sonia Ordóñez
Sonia Ordóñez  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
AI and Black Mirror Jul 19, 2023

[quote]
[quote]

They already tried:
https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news/charlie-brooker-chatgpt-black-mirror-episode-exclusive-image/

"...and it comes up with something that, at first glance, reads plausibly, but on second glance, is shit."

P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
Jean Dimitriadis
Kay Denney

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
South Park Jul 21, 2023

Sonia Ordóñez wrote:

They already tried:
https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news/charlie-brooker-chatgpt-black-mirror-episode-exclusive-image/

"...and it comes up with something that, at first glance, reads plausibly, but on second glance, is shit."

Seems they've done it with South Park.

"... the company’s chief executive ... stressed that the South Park tool, produced without copyright permission, was purely for research and would not be available for public use."

I reckon that's because on second glance, they realised it was ...

P.L.F. Persio
Sonia Ordóñez

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
Who are they? Jul 22, 2023

The EUR 0.02/word question is, who are 'the nincompoop crowds in Translation'?

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Recep Kurt

Robert Rutledge
Robert Rutledge  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:39
Member (2021)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not necessarily a false comparison Jul 24, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

It's clearly a false comparison, anyway. The Hollywood strikes are taking place in a specific context, directed against essentially just one target, a single client.

With all due respect, this is not true. The actors (and writers) are taking a stand against all the major media conglomerates (such as Viacom, Paramount, Disney, etc.) who own the rights to their work and profit off of reproductions of their performances.

These are the same studios that are (indirectly) hiring freelance translators such as myself for the internationalization (subbing and dubbing) of their assets for international audiences.

I am trying to get out of audiovisual while I can because it's obvious that subtitle translators are undervalued (and underpaid) even more than actors are. And I don't think that's ever going to change.

[Edited at 2023-07-24 21:59 GMT]

Magnus Rubensson

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:39
Danish to English
+ ...
Change Jul 24, 2023

Robert Rutledge wrote:

I am trying to get out of audiovisual while I can because it's obvious that subtitle translators are undervalued (and underpaid) even more than actors are. And I don't think that's ever going to change.

It will only change if enough translators capable of delivering what the media industry needs stop accepting its handouts and begin to respect themselves and their work. Unfortunately many translators don't master the art of negotiation, and being scattered all over the planet, they cannot benefit from any union to do it for them. The nuclear option in negotiation is to walk away if your demands are not met, but many people find it difficult to walk away from abusive relationships of all sorts.

Jorge Payan
Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik
Magnus Rubensson

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hardly notice Aug 1, 2023

Hollywood only produces garbage these days. It is hard to get too worked up, but that is just my own opinion after being thoroughly unimpressed at the box office for some time now. I haven't seen a new film in years.

As for writers fearing AI, AI is not creative. It is all in-the-rear-view-mirror stuff, namely, a very elaborate algorithm to dig up vast amounts of information quickly, but it is not intelligent. Any writer who is afraid of AI lacks the creativity to be a writer.
... See more
Hollywood only produces garbage these days. It is hard to get too worked up, but that is just my own opinion after being thoroughly unimpressed at the box office for some time now. I haven't seen a new film in years.

As for writers fearing AI, AI is not creative. It is all in-the-rear-view-mirror stuff, namely, a very elaborate algorithm to dig up vast amounts of information quickly, but it is not intelligent. Any writer who is afraid of AI lacks the creativity to be a writer.

Unions are evil anyway.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hollywood Strike!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »