Thread poster: Nikolett Dankovics
Nikolett Dankovics
Nikolett Dankovics
United Kingdom
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 26, 2023

Dear Members,

I would need some help regarding rates and fees. I am very new to translation and I am trying to register with some agencies and I need to give the rates. I need help with this. What would be a realistic rate (per words or minimum charge) or fee for a translation assignment in the UK?
Many thanks in advance.
Regards,

Daniel Fernandes

Mihaela C N Plamadeala
Mihaela C N Plamadeala  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:31
English to Romanian
+ ...
good starting point Aug 26, 2023

hi, a good starting point is to check out the ProZ Tools, where you will find community rates for your language pair. Take it with a pinch of salt though, as they might be out of date. It obviously depends on the type of document, but I would say agencies are not very generous, they will not want to pay above 8p/w.

https://www.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates

Thayenga
ATIL KAYHAN
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Daniel Fernandes
Winnie Cheong (X)
expressisverbis
Justin Scott

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:31
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Rates Aug 26, 2023

Rates also tend to change from country to country but we are trying to minimize that fluctuation by sticking to our rates in either USD or Euros (I took the liberty of using "we" here assuming that it is to every translator's best interest to keep our rates constant across different cultures). For example, the US and European countries usually respect your rates whereas some Eastern or Asian countries try to negotiate any rate data that they come across. What I usually do in such cases is to s... See more
Rates also tend to change from country to country but we are trying to minimize that fluctuation by sticking to our rates in either USD or Euros (I took the liberty of using "we" here assuming that it is to every translator's best interest to keep our rates constant across different cultures). For example, the US and European countries usually respect your rates whereas some Eastern or Asian countries try to negotiate any rate data that they come across. What I usually do in such cases is to state explicitly that my rates are not negotiable. Otherwise, you might have to exchange a few messages just to clarify your rate information before proceeding any further.Collapse

Helena Chavarria
Daniel Fernandes
Justin Scott

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
My 2p Aug 27, 2023

5p

Nikolett Dankovics
Nikolett Dankovics
United Kingdom
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 28, 2023

Many thanks for your help!

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:31
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
It depends Aug 28, 2023

It depends a lot on language pairs and subject matter, neither of which are mentioned in your post or ProZ profile.

[Edited at 2023-08-28 19:33 GMT]

ATIL KAYHAN
Barbara Carrara
Winnie Cheong (X)
expressisverbis
Sebastian Witte

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nikolett Aug 29, 2023

For as long as I can remember (2 decades), the UK has always had lower rates than most of the rest of the Western world (apart from Mediterranean countries, which typically pay even less). If for a particular job you'd get 10c per word from a US client, you'd get 8c per word from a UK client, etc.

There is no simple answer to your question, though: rates in the UK vary wildly. So your best option is to check out the "community rates", which is the average rate that translators cha
... See more
For as long as I can remember (2 decades), the UK has always had lower rates than most of the rest of the Western world (apart from Mediterranean countries, which typically pay even less). If for a particular job you'd get 10c per word from a US client, you'd get 8c per word from a UK client, etc.

There is no simple answer to your question, though: rates in the UK vary wildly. So your best option is to check out the "community rates", which is the average rate that translators charge for a particular language combination, and be prepared to accept a slightly lower rate. Unfortunately ProZ.com's rates information is per language combination and not per country -- the creator[s] of ProZ.com assumed that a particular language combination is paid at the same rate regardless of the location of the translator or client.

https://www.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates
Collapse

Renvi Ulrich
Sebastian Witte
Jianrong Sun

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fees and rates for starters

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »