How much to charge per hour of transcription + inverse translation?
Thread poster: Maria Felipe Maza
Maria Felipe Maza
Maria Felipe Maza  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 14, 2023

Hello. I've been offered a freelance project where I will receive audio files in Spanish and then I will have to write the text in English, kind of like transcription plus translation, but done in a single step. They are asking me for a rate per hour of source audio, and I'm not sure how much I should charge since it's like two processes in one. Also, I asked for an audio sample, and they said they needed a 60-minute rate and a freelance engagement signed before they sent a sample. Is this a red... See more
Hello. I've been offered a freelance project where I will receive audio files in Spanish and then I will have to write the text in English, kind of like transcription plus translation, but done in a single step. They are asking me for a rate per hour of source audio, and I'm not sure how much I should charge since it's like two processes in one. Also, I asked for an audio sample, and they said they needed a 60-minute rate and a freelance engagement signed before they sent a sample. Is this a red flag?

This makes me anxious because, when I started my career, I had to do projects like this and the audio was awful, so it was a nightmare (it was my first job as a translator and we were being exploited, too). Ever since, I have sworn to never do transcription again. But due to how my country's economy is going, well...

I've thought of charging 6 USD per minute (it's inverse translation) x 60, which would be 350 USD per hour. I'd also want to charge 20% extra because I won't have a source text. Is 432 USD per hour excessive? Do you have any other advice?

Thank you!

[Editado a las 2023-09-14 14:03 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:13
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Don't keep your hopes up. Not much, anyway. Sep 14, 2023

Maria Felipe Maza wrote:

Hello. I've been offered a freelance project where I will receive audio files in Spanish and then I will have to write the text in English, kind of like transcription plus translation, but done in a single step. They are asking me for a rate per hour of source audio, and I'm not sure how much I should charge since it's like two processes in one. Also, I asked for an audio sample, and they said they needed a 60-minute rate and a freelance engagement signed before they sent a sample. Is this a red flag?

The process your potential client describes is not how things normally work, as there are two separate steps, as you said: transcription AND translation (plus, in your case, revision by a native English speaker, which you are not, according to your profile page).

How can you know how long it will take you to complete your assignment without checking the quality of the original files first for as 'mundane' aspects as audio quality, density of speech, number of speakers and so forth? And these variables cannot necessarily be maintained across as many files there are, or even within the same file, depending on the kind of audio material you'll be dealing with.
Do you know what the files are about at all?
Anyway, it is imperative that you receive the files FIRST, in order for you to prepare your quote.

I've thought of charging 6 USD per minute (it's inverse translation) x 60, which would be 350 USD per hour. I'd also want to charge 20% extra because I won't have a source text. Is 432 USD per hour excessive?

I bet your potential client is going to accept neither your standard quote (and you may want to amend 350USD to 360USD), nor your 20% surcharge, as they already told you what the assignment would entail. Why would they care if you won't have a source text?
In fact, they may ask that you 'meet their budget requirements' by lowering your quote, possibly significantly.

Do you have any other advice?

You can try and 'educate' your potential client, but I fear you'll be fighting a losing battle.

But, hey, you never know.
Good luck!

Melina Kajander
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thayenga
Maria Felipe Maza

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Maria... Sep 21, 2023

...are you there?

expressisverbis

Maria Felipe Maza
Maria Felipe Maza  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, thanks! Sep 21, 2023

Barbara Carrara wrote:

...are you there?

Hi, Barbara. Thank you so much for your answer! I haven't been active in ProZ for like two years, sorry if I'm rusty with this, haha. I didn't know I was supposed to answer the answers! 😅

Yeah, the potential client found someone else before I was done with my questions. I didn't mind.

Thank you again!

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Enough said Sep 21, 2023

Maria Felipe Maza wrote:

I didn't know I was supposed to answer the answers [sic]! 😅

Didn't you, now... Well, enough said.

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge per hour of transcription + inverse translation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »