Serena Rotundo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:17
Member (2023)
French to Italian
+ ...
Apr 11

Hi everyone,

Today I received an email from a translation agency I worked for, and that paid late, and they asked me for "their" money back.

Long story short: I replied to this job post: https://www.proz.com/job/2073244
And asked for 0.05 EURO/word for an MTPE. Unfortunately, I cannot find my quote of 0.05 EURO and there was none on the job post.

Now, the pers
... See more
Hi everyone,

Today I received an email from a translation agency I worked for, and that paid late, and they asked me for "their" money back.

Long story short: I replied to this job post: https://www.proz.com/job/2073244
And asked for 0.05 EURO/word for an MTPE. Unfortunately, I cannot find my quote of 0.05 EURO and there was none on the job post.

Now, the person I am talking to, sent me an email telling me that their original offer was 0.025 EURO/word and now I should give them "back" some money.

How can I proceed?

Thank you,

Serena
Collapse

patransword
patransword
Germany
German to English
+ ...
. Apr 11

Do you want to keep the client? Negotiate and meet somewhere in the middle.

Do you mind losing the client? Keep the money.

Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 14:17
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
That's weird! Apr 11

Hi Serena,

As I understand, they accepted your rate and the job is done! Then, they paid you the agreed amount of money! Then, they discovered later (by chance) that your rate is not working with them?!!!

I have never worked with a client/ agency like this!

If I were you, I would contact Proz staff and let them know. This agency is unprofessional!

If they agreed with me on a specific rate and the job is done as required. I will not accept any c
... See more
Hi Serena,

As I understand, they accepted your rate and the job is done! Then, they paid you the agreed amount of money! Then, they discovered later (by chance) that your rate is not working with them?!!!

I have never worked with a client/ agency like this!

If I were you, I would contact Proz staff and let them know. This agency is unprofessional!

If they agreed with me on a specific rate and the job is done as required. I will not accept any changes later.

I hope this helps a little!
Collapse

Serena Rotundo
Stepan Konev
Christel Zipfel
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Kay Denney
tronni

Serena Rotundo
Italy
Member (2023)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 11

Thank you, Dalia! I have never heard of something like this before from fellow translators either. It seems so unprofessional but I don't want them to choose the legal path.

Dalia Nour

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Where you can see your job quotes: Apr 11

https://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/quotes/

As for the issue itself, if there are written agreements (emails and/or PO), this has contractual status.

Dalia Nour
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Slobodan Kozarčić
expressisverbis
Esther Dodo
Philip Lees

Serena Rotundo
Italy
Member (2023)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 11

Zea_Mays wrote:

https://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/quotes/

As for the issue itself, if there are written agreements (emails and/or PO), this has contractual status.

Thank you Zea, I checked there and in my emails, but I don't know why my quote is nowhere to be seen. But they paid me.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Serena Apr 11

So, they only noticed that they paid you double of what they expected two months later their delivery deadline??? OMG!

Emanuele Vacca
Christopher Schröder
Angus Stewart
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Kay Denney

Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 14:17
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
@Serena Apr 11

You should find your quote exists with the rest of your quotes as an evidence.

Definitely, the rate is mentioned somewhere (email/ PO)! If so, it's ok then if they choose the legal path! You are the right person.

If your rate is not mentioned anywhere (or you can't find it), then they are right (legally). They might have sent the wrong amount of money to you. In all cases, they are unprofessional.

My suggestion in this case, reread your emails and yo
... See more

Definitely, the rate is mentioned somewhere (email/ PO)! If so, it's ok then if they choose the legal path! You are the right person.

If your rate is not mentioned anywhere (or you can't find it), then they are right (legally). They might have sent the wrong amount of money to you. In all cases, they are unprofessional.

My suggestion in this case, reread your emails and your PO well, then take the right decision according.

[Edited at 2024-04-11 16:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-04-11 16:13 GMT]
Collapse

Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2020)
English to Italian
They accepted your invoice Apr 11

I guess that in order to be paid, you sent them an invoice and they accepted it (at least implicitly, by paying it). Once you sent it, it was up to them to check whether the amount was correct. They don't have any legal recourse. Don't worry, they won't sue you unless the amount is very high, and I guess it's not.

Serena Rotundo
Robert Rietvelt
IrinaN
Christine Andersen
expressisverbis
Rachel Waddington

Serena Rotundo
Italy
Member (2023)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No PO Apr 11

Dalia Nour wrote:

My suggestion in this case, reread your emails and your PO well, then take the right decision according.

[Edited at 2024-04-11 16:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-04-11 16:13 GMT]

Thank you again for your time, Dalia. I didn't ask for a PO, nor I can find my quote in the email nor in the Proz notes. For any other job offer I have a quote, not for them. I will learn from this experience, that's for sure.
They accepted my invoice with my price in any case.

Dalia Nour

Serena Rotundo
Italy
Member (2023)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I hope! Apr 11

Emanuele Vacca wrote:

I guess that in order to be paid, you sent them an invoice and they accepted it (at least implicitly, by paying it). Once you sent it, it was up to them to check whether the amount was correct. They don't have any legal recourse. Don't worry, they won't sue you unless the amount is very high, and I guess it's not.

Thank you, Emanuele. I really hope so, they received my invoice and I also had to contact them again because the deadline was over. Then they sent it to Accounting and then paid me on Monday.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
No worries Apr 11

Serena Rotundo wrote:

They accepted my invoice with my price in any case.

So, I wouldn't worry about it. Had something similar once. They accepted my min. rate for a small job, and came back on it. No way José.

And by the way, 0.025 cents p/w word is an outrageous rate anyhow. I would forget about this client and move on to the next one.

Succes.

[Edited at 2024-04-11 16:39 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Serena Rotundo
Dalia Nour
expressisverbis
Rachel Waddington
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
stated rate Apr 11

Serena Rotundo wrote:
I didn't ask for a PO, nor I can find my quote in the email nor in the Proz notes.

On your quote page for that job, top left, you should have stated your proposed rate. If I remember well, this is mandatory so it should be there (either a per word or per hour rate).

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 12:17
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ashamed... Apr 11

I'm ashamed of the experience, the ridiculous price offer of that agency and the fact that it is based in... Portugal!
Sometimes I'd rather not be Portuguese...
Zea is right. You can find your job quotes in that link as well as your proposed rate.
If you clearly indicated your rate somewhere and they didn't notice or ignored it, but paid you according to your rate, that's their problem, not yours!
For this reason, asking for your money back is not only unprofessional but
... See more
I'm ashamed of the experience, the ridiculous price offer of that agency and the fact that it is based in... Portugal!
Zea is right. You can find your job quotes in that link as well as your proposed rate.
If you clearly indicated your rate somewhere and they didn't notice or ignored it, but paid you according to your rate, that's their problem, not yours!
For this reason, asking for your money back is not only unprofessional but also insulting.
Collapse

Philip Lees
Dalia Nour

Serena Rotundo
Italy
Member (2023)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree! Apr 11

expressisverbis wrote:

For this reason, asking for your money back is not only unprofessional but also insulting.

Thanks! The thing is, they are the only one on my "quotes list" without my original quote. That's weird and I could have missed it that day, but still.
Without proof, I would have accepted their new rate before paying the price on the invoice. But after... They paid according to what they could clearly read on the invoice.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A translation agency asked me money back

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »