GiovannaHI
GiovannaHI
United States
Local time: 14:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 6, 2010

Hello,

I tried Trados and had nothing but problems. I read somewhere that Systran is one of the top three and was wondering if anyone else here has used it. If so, can you reccomend it?

Thanks,

Gio

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:32
French to German
+ ...
Difference between CAT and MT Nov 6, 2010

GiovannaHI wrote:

Hello,

I tried Trados and had nothing but problems. I read somewhere that Systran is one of the top three and was wondering if anyone else here has used it. If so, can you reccomend it?

Thanks,

Gio

Hi Gio,
just for your guidance:

CAT = Computer-Assisted Translation (Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast, Swordfish, etc.)

MT = Machine Translation (Systran, Promt, etc.)

You cannot work with a CAT tool in the same way as you would with an MT tool, because they don't have the same purposes. What exactly are you looking for?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:32
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Beware of scams Nov 6, 2010

If you are thinking about Systran because somebody offered you work if you buy it, please be aware that there are multiple scams going on about it.
You can read more here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/184628-systran_software_scam_beware.html
... See more
If you are thinking about Systran because somebody offered you work if you buy it, please be aware that there are multiple scams going on about it.
You can read more here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/184628-systran_software_scam_beware.html

And here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/112609-scammers_requesting_to_buy_systran_language_software.html
Collapse

GiovannaHI
GiovannaHI
United States
Local time: 14:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Systran Software Nov 6, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

GiovannaHI wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Gio

Hi Gio,
just for your guidance:

CAT = Computer-Assisted Translation (Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast, Swordfish, etc.)

MT = Machine Translation (Systran, Promt, etc.)

You cannot work with a CAT tool in the same way as you would with an MT tool, because they don't have the same purposes. What exactly are you looking for?

I just want to get into translating, period. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. And I want software that is user-friendly. I am about to purchase Systran, but I do NOT want to waste a week setting it up, only to wind up with nothing but a big goose egg.

This technical stuff is giving me a headache.

Gio

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
In this case... Nov 7, 2010

GiovannaHI wrote:
I just want to get into translating, period. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.

... do NOT purchase Systran: it is not what you really need.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Technical stuff... Nov 7, 2010

GiovannaHI wrote:

I just want to get into translating, period. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. And I want software that is user-friendly. I am about to purchase Systran, but I do NOT want to waste a week setting it up, only to wind up with nothing but a big goose egg.

This technical stuff is giving me a headache.

Gio

Sadly, technical stuff cannot be avoided entirely. And it begins with TM (Translation Memory) and its different formats as well as with the requirements of clients as per the format to be delivered...

By comparing different programmes, you will avoid yourself lots of... future disappointments and, of course, headaches.

What I regret, indeed, is that some software is more aimed at IT geeks than at professionals needing a good tool. But I guess this trend will just be increasing due to more complex contents (or the supposed "need" for those).

A good comparison as far as I am concerned is the difference between PageMaker and InDesign - they are worlds apart and yet serve the same purpose.

[Edited at 2010-11-07 13:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Systran Software

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »