Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:06
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
living costs Sep 30, 2023

I think we should take into consideration living costs of a country/region when comparing wages
and distinguish between gross and net figures. Finland and Sweden may have higher wages
but living costs are high too there. In Italy, £10.50 gross would mean £5-7 net depending on tax regime.

Barbara Carrara

Elena Aleksandrova
Elena Aleksandrova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 10:06
Member (2009)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I had a second though about an offer I received not long ago. Sep 30, 2023

The offer was to review a document of 75 words for 0.75 Euro.
I tried to be polite and simply rejected the job.

The answer was: It is a small job, general text, why I can't just review it.

As this was really rude, I explained that I have to log-in their system, to download a zip file, to unzip it, to upload it in Trados, to review it, to run Xbench or similar software, to save the results, to zip the files, to upload them, to give them a feedback on the transla
... See more
The offer was to review a document of 75 words for 0.75 Euro.
I tried to be polite and simply rejected the job.

The answer was: It is a small job, general text, why I can't just review it.

As this was really rude, I explained that I have to log-in their system, to download a zip file, to unzip it, to upload it in Trados, to review it, to run Xbench or similar software, to save the results, to zip the files, to upload them, to give them a feedback on the translation (all requirements they insist on) which will take me probably at least 20 minutes plus the 10 minutes I'm wasting to answer their emails. And asked them will they work for 1.50 Euro/hour.

Well.... I didn't get an answer.

I bet this is the best offer ever
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Tom in London
Angie Garbarino
Rita Translator
Philippe Etienne

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
We shouldn't anyway compare apples to pears Sep 30, 2023

An employee has paid holidays, sickness allowance, will get a pension after retiremen and has other benefits, at least normally in Europe, which a freelancer doesn't have. So what?

texjax DDS PhD
Philippe Etienne

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What what? Oct 1, 2023

Christel Zipfel wrote:

An employee has paid holidays, sickness allowance, will get a pension after retiremen and has other benefits, at least normally in Europe, which a freelancer doesn't have. So what?

For Freelancers, "holidays, sickness allowance, (supplementary) pension" and the like - as well as "dry periods" - need to be covered by their rates.
Here and there, employee or freelancer or manager, all is paid by the end consumer.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-10-01 07:44 GMT]

Angie Garbarino

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Federal U.S. minimum wage starts at $7.25, though Georgia offers $5.15 for small employers Oct 2, 2023

Take a look at this chart of minimum wage by state in the U.S. California's is almost three times that of Georgia.
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/minimum-wage/state

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
But Oct 4, 2023

Christel Zipfel wrote:

A freelancer in my country has all of that, except for the holidays, the cost of which should be included in the fee.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a standard rate?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »