Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:22
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 26, 2023

I just noticed a job offer here on Proz for an Editor Assistant (responsible for editorial, content and translation-related tasks, and "that copy is edited to a high standard" as well as providing "support with various translation and content writing tasks"),
paid £10.50/hour (I assume gross as it looks like a freelance position).
Is this a standard rate for this type of role in the UK? Or what would be a fair rate?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Sep 26, 2023

The UK Living Wage is £10.90 an hour, and the London Living Wage is £11.95 an hour for 2023/24. So this is peanuts, verging on insulting.

Matthieu Ledoré
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
P.L.F. Persio
Jennifer Levey
Zea_Mays
Barbara Carrara
Alison Jenner

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
UK agencies Sep 26, 2023

A lot of UK agencies offer the same rate for interpreting, for instance.

Don’t know about editing. Editor assistant is certainly paid lower than chief editor.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Cleaning Sep 26, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

... £10.50/hour...

Property cleaning here in Sweden pays £2 more...

(added:) Oops, gross amount? In that case property cleaning pays MUCH better!

[Edited at 2023-09-26 16:18 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Angie Garbarino
Adieu

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Two identical job posts Sep 27, 2023

This morning, I found TWO identical job posts in my inbox, which yet again made my blood boil.

An international outsourcer, with offices in the States but contact person based in Southeast Asia, is looking for 'people with passion for languages' to help their IA business and 'community' (!).
This 'job' has nothing to do with translation, and is not even aimed at language professionals, but rather at people with (you guessed it) a 'passion for languages'. In fact, in their allu
... See more
This morning, I found TWO identical job posts in my inbox, which yet again made my blood boil.

An international outsourcer, with offices in the States but contact person based in Southeast Asia, is looking for 'people with passion for languages' to help their IA business and 'community' (!).
This 'job' has nothing to do with translation, and is not even aimed at language professionals, but rather at people with (you guessed it) a 'passion for languages'. In fact, in their alluring (not) job description, their ideal candidates may be 'whoever you are'.
Of course, there is no budget info available, but I am pretty sure it'll be petty cash.

Strangely enough, the said 'global' (of course) company has posted 732 jobs since 2021, but has so far received ONLY ONE glowing 5-star LWA entry in the last five years. Enough, apparently, to make its LWA a five-star one overall. How is that NOT suspicious?

Hopefully you'll get to read this before it's deleted for whatever reason the mods may find, in support of their pool of outsourcers, rather than the paying professionals who are keeping this platform alive..

Edited to add the PS.

PS Apologies to Zea_Mays for posting this in her thread. Despite it being unrelated, it is yet another example of the sort of jobs we keep getting these days, on a platform intended for language professionals. Deplorable.

BTW, I have now published the above as a separate thread.

[Edited at 2023-09-27 06:10 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Zea_Mays
Laurent Di Raimondo
Yvonne Gallagher
Simone Linke

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
An old acquaintance... Sep 27, 2023

Hello Dear 😊

This is yy from xx Trans, I hope all is well on your side.

I am reaching out to check your availability for the below
project, if you are available, please respond with your proz link
and CV:

-Language Pair: English into German
-Service: Translation
-Tool: Memsource, we grant access
-Volume: 1.5 Million words
-Start: Tomorrow
-Rate: $0.03/ Word
-Deadline: You will be asked to deliver 2000-2500 words per day
till Sep 12th.
-Subject: General.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
The 'dear', 'smiley' and 'reaching out' lot Sep 27, 2023

[quote]Zea_Mays wrote:

Hello Dear 😊

This is yy from xx Trans, I hope all is well on your side.

I am reaching out...

If I am in the mood, I give this sort of messages my full attention, with a clear-enough reply and the intimation to not contact me again. Ever.

Tom in London
Zea_Mays
Yvonne Gallagher

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Not only in Sweden Sep 27, 2023

Joakim Braun wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

... £10.50/hour...

Property cleaning here in Sweden pays £2 more...

(added:) Oops, gross amount? In that case property cleaning pays MUCH better!

[Edited at 2023-09-26 16:18 GMT]

In Spain and also in Italy property cleaning pays 13 euros NET per hour.

Zea_Mays
Tom in London

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Sep 27, 2023

Angie Garbarino wrote:
In Spain and also in Italy property cleaning pays 13 euros NET per hour.

If it's gross the offered taxable amount would be 6,50-7 EUR net (after social security contributions).

[Edited at 2023-09-27 19:08 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:22
Japanese to English
+ ...
standard rate? Sep 27, 2023

As a sidebar, those who work at fast food restaurants in the US get roughly USD 15.00 an hour. When current legislation is passed in California, the rate will rise to USD 20.00 per hour. Food for thought, as it were.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Adieu

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:22
English to Russian
+ ...
Nobody can decide what is acceptable for you Sep 28, 2023

It's not to say that the indicated rate is good or otherwise, I don't see any point in that argument, but you will have to evaluate what is acceptable for you personally and what the alternatives are. There's so much whining about 'property cleaning' and such that sometimes it seems that the world had lost some good cleaners among proz users. It's not enough, an insult - well, don't take it, take the cleaning offer, but don't blame anyone else who does. One way to look at the property cleaning a... See more
It's not to say that the indicated rate is good or otherwise, I don't see any point in that argument, but you will have to evaluate what is acceptable for you personally and what the alternatives are. There's so much whining about 'property cleaning' and such that sometimes it seems that the world had lost some good cleaners among proz users. It's not enough, an insult - well, don't take it, take the cleaning offer, but don't blame anyone else who does. One way to look at the property cleaning and other such jobs is though like this: if you don't do it close to your home, which may not be the case, you will have to travel, and this will take at least 2-3 euros (correct me) one way. Deduct it from the attractive 15/hour and it won't look too insulting to do some translation from your sofa instead.Collapse

Margit Loerzer

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Been there Sep 29, 2023

Evgeny Sidorenko wrote:

There's so much whining about 'property cleaning' and such that sometimes it seems that the world had lost some good cleaners among proz users.

I've done industrial property cleaning, thanks. It certainly beats translating at 7 EUR/hour.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the topic Sep 29, 2023

The original question was "Is £10.50/hour (gross) a standard rate for editorial assistants in the UK".
The mentioned outsourcer will get what they pay for (if they'll find someone at all).
And if an editorial assistant has to accept such a rate, something is going wrong
or the outsourcer isn't actually based in the UK.

But no one was blaming people for accepting such rates, nor was anyone saying
that cleaning was low value work (actually we al
... See more
The original question was "Is £10.50/hour (gross) a standard rate for editorial assistants in the UK".
The mentioned outsourcer will get what they pay for (if they'll find someone at all).
And if an editorial assistant has to accept such a rate, something is going wrong
or the outsourcer isn't actually based in the UK.

But no one was blaming people for accepting such rates, nor was anyone saying
that cleaning was low value work (actually we all depend on this kind of work).
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
The State of California just passed a law... Sep 29, 2023

that all fast food restaurant workers will make a minimum wage of $20.00 per hour. (https://www.kcra.com/article/california-gov-gavin-newsom-signs-law-raise-minimum-wage-fast-food-workers-20-per-hour/45360718)

Auto workers in the U.S. are on strike for a 40% increase in pay and a four-day work week
... See more
that all fast food restaurant workers will make a minimum wage of $20.00 per hour. (https://www.kcra.com/article/california-gov-gavin-newsom-signs-law-raise-minimum-wage-fast-food-workers-20-per-hour/45360718)

Auto workers in the U.S. are on strike for a 40% increase in pay and a four-day work week.

[Edited at 2023-09-29 14:59 GMT]
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:22
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
That's about twice the amount compared to Tokyo Sep 30, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

As a sidebar, those who work at fast food restaurants in the US get roughly USD 15.00 an hour. When current legislation is passed in California, the rate will rise to USD 20.00 per hour. Food for thought, as it were.

Converting 1 USD to 140 JPY, fast food restaurant workers in Tokyo work for half the amount in California. And if the current legislation in California is passed, fast food restaurant workers in California will earn 2.5 times more than the workers here in Tokyo.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a standard rate?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »