Thread poster: Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:01
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Jul 16, 2022

I am working on an 8,000-plus segment file in Studio 2019 SR2. By my standards this is an unusually large file. I have many 100% matches. After confirming such a match, Studio will often throw up a "Auto-propagating translation" notice. This takes several seconds.

Is there a way around this, or a better approach? I do want propagation, of course, but it's also slowing me down.

Regards,
Dan

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Options" Jul 16, 2022

I believe you need to go to "File", select "Options" and set "Never - always auto-propagate translations without prompting user".
Please check if your settings are similar to these:

Capturar

That way, I think you can avoid that prompt that makes you slow down your translation.
I hope it helps!

Stepan Konev
Dan Lucas
Sebastian Witte

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
All or nothing Jul 17, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:
That way, I think you can avoid that prompt that makes you slow down your translation.
I hope it helps!

Thank you for that expressis. Having experimented a bit, I realise that I am being unrealistic in my expectations. What I really want is a kind of background auto-propagation that doesn't steal the focus, which I guess isn't going to happen until Studio becomes properly multi-threaded. The current settings seem to be, essentially, an on/off switch.

I have been able to reduce the impact by bulk-copying the many segments that consist of numbers and confirming them en masse. This works to an extent, and for certain very simple strings, but it still leaves me with a lot to do. Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

Regards,
Dan

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:01
English to Russian
Regex Jul 17, 2022

Probably you know that but just in case... You can use regex like ^[\d.]+$ for segments that only contain numbers with dots.
Or something like this:
^\P{L}*\d\P{L}*$
or even this
^\P{L}*\d\P{L}* .+$
When I work with bigger projects, I always begin with these regular expressions to find, handle and lock all such short/number-only segments.

expressisverbis
Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good approach Jul 17, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
Probably you know that but just in case... You can use regex like ^[\d.]+$ for segments that only contain numbers with dots.

Thank you Stepan, I do something similar for numbers with commas - don't tend to get that many decimals, but will certainly give this a go.

Dan

[Edited at 2022-07-17 20:27 GMT]

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Always a great help Jul 19, 2022

A valuable help from Stepan, and not underestimating other colleagues.
Thanks to everyone who helps us with the "problems" we encounter with our CAT tools on a daily basis.

Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah Jul 19, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:
A valuable help from Stepan, and not underestimating other colleagues.

Agreed, Step's the man.

Dan

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:01
English to Russian
Thank you :D Jul 19, 2022

Just my googling skill

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delaying / pausing auto-propagation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »